Sunday, May 16, 2010

Flooded...and will be charged for it... ugh!

Me and 6 kids, packed up ourselves, and went on the ward campout. It was way more work than I expected. I was completely exhausted. When I came home from the campout. I found a note on the door. It was from my neighbor behind me, who said he woke up to a flooded back yard. He said he quickly discovered the water was comming from our yard. A hose was left in the pool, running. Camden came home early from school on friday to HELP me pack. He wasn't alot of help, but kept Jaren busy while I got some work done. They were outside, and I guess he assumed the pool looked a little low, so he added some water. This was about noon on Friday. The water was left on until 9 or 10 on Saturday. That is almost 20 hours. It usually takes our pool 3 hours to top off. So you can imagine how much water was wasted. Now, I know this was a simple mistake. However the worst part of it, is we don't have a well. We have to Pay for each gallon of water we use. IT is NOT cheap. My water bill will probably be over $600 dollars next month, due to this tiny little mistake. David is furious...(He is in Idaho for Alden's wedding) SO I am trying to decide how to punish him. David thinks he should pay the diffrence on the water bill. Well that could be $3-400 dollars. That would take a 6 year old nearly 6 years to earn that much. I'm not sure what to do. If you have any suggestions on how to fairly discipline this little guy. Please leave a post.

4 comments:

  1. Holy COW that's a hard one! I'd probably make him work it off, but not the exact amount of the overage. Wish I knew an easier answer for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. maybe you can make him sell lemonaide for the rest of his life? Really though, you could have him do extra chores for a while. It's hard cause I'm sure he didn't do it on purpose, but there are consequences for mistakes too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry, Amy! That's a lot of money! It's frustrating when those kinds of accidents happen. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So we got the bill, and it was not quite as bad as I was thinking. It was about 100 dollars more than usual. I did end up doubling his chores, for the summer. When I told him what we were going to do...He cried and cried, that he would be doing chores all summer long, and no time for play. I explained it would only take him an extra 15 minutes a day, and then he laughed, and said oh...I can do that. and he has been doing great. Thank goodness for good kids, they make parenting do--able.

    ReplyDelete